27 June 2006

Bring it On!

The title is in reference to knitting but before I talk about that, I want to update you on my work life. I can do this too no? I do like a detour.

This week has turned out to be much better than last week, so far. As I type this I am on the train home… The conductor has just come through and wants to see our tickets. Why is it that they decide to come through just when I decide to occupy myself intensely? Mhhh? It is beyond me. Can’t they see I am busy???? They should ask in advance...

Anyway [ticket shown with a smile], as I was saying, I am on my way home and usually (last two weeks) I am working on Loll, as I inch my way home. Yesterday though, I had to do some work. I thought I would be able to dedicate some time to knitting too but ohh noooo, I worked all the way home. Blast! I was not too impressed with myself or my work but you know what, I had a less stressful day at work today. It was all worth it in the end.

My confined space is making me look funny while typing. My shoulders are hunched up rather high and I am beginning to feel tense around the shoulders perhaps typing this on the train is not such a good idea after all. No matter, I will persevere.

You will have noticed that I have joined the Rowanette Blog Ring which has provided me with more opportunity to visit knit sibs as Brenda Dayne calls them. I just want to see what everyone is creating and knitting. I am amazed at what is out there. Apart from, this I love Rowan patterns. So, I thought it would be fun to see what patterns others have decided to knit. Also Rowan yarns being expensive, I wanted to spy what yarn substitutions people have made in the past.

I must also add that my first proper adult cardigan... after learning to knit at the age of 5 or 6… no, wait for it… then rediscovering knitting when I was… well around 6 years ago… was a Rowan pattern - Onza it was/is called. It was so simple and straight forward, that I fell in love with Rowan. I remember mentioning the cost of the yarn to my ‘mentor’, but all she said at the time is that it is worth it. Which I have discovered is true but since then the yarn world has moved on. More suppliers are coming on line, therefore more competition, therefore cheaper yarn available but not necessarily lower standards. Even in the UK. It is happening. Bring it on, I say! Laters!

8 comments:

Dove Knits said...

Hee, I can just imagine you, typing this on the train as you scowl, erm, smile at the conductor.

Dove Knits said...

Sexy knitter's club:

Just go here and send an email to the address listed, saying you want to join :)

Theresa said...

I've never knit any Rowan patterns, but because I am easily led, I'm sure I will now!

Jeanie said...

Hi Tusa! Jeanie from the Sexy Knitters Club here! Just wanted to drop by your blog and say hello and let you know that I very much enjoyed your essay on Brenda's show a couple of weeks ago. Also, your Loll is beautiful! Not sure what the finished product will look like, but so far it looks amazing! Take care!

Tusa said...

Thank you all. I am now in with Sexy Knitters Club. Yeah!

Teresa do try the Rowan patterns. The designs by Kim Hargreaves resonate with me the most.

Jeannie, thank you for the feedback and encouragement. Fingers crossed Loll will look good when done too.

Marietta said...

hey tusa!
how much are rowan yarns in the uk? i would hope that they would be cheaper by you than us - i mean being a uk yarn company...love there pattern books and the kim hargreaves paterns. Alas, i measure a wee (read:alot) bigger than there largest size) - most of the atterns are just elegant and classic

Tusa said...

They are just lovely. I am guessing the Rowan Yarns are cheaper over here. Have a look at http://www.mcadirect.com where I made my recent purchase. Are you thinking what I think you are thinking... mmhh. I bought 5 calmer yarns from them at £30 equivalent to $55. Yum! Is it cheaper?

Marietta said...

wow! not much of a difference - about $11 or $12 for calmer (one of my all time favourite yarns - yum) here. I think kid silk haze is around $13.99..