19 November 2006

My, aren’t you big!

Isn’t it funny how once you are pregnant you become public property. You receive comments you would not otherwise. I wonder whether everyone who has gone though pregnancy has had the same response. Whilst I appreciate the attention I am also intrigued. I expected everyone to want to stroke my belly but actually they have kept their hands to themselves. It must be something in my body language. But… They do open their mouths! The conversation usually goes like this…

Admirer: “Wow! look at you!”
Tusa: “Hi” (shyly)
Admirer: “You are blooming. When are you due?”
Tusa: “February”
Admirer: “My, aren’t you big! It’s going to be a big baby…”
Tusa: silence… thinks… yes that might be the case you are probably the thousandth person to say that and I am really getting fed up. But replies “yes, maybe. See you later”.

At home my poor husband has suffered the perennial “do I look big?” question. His answer is always charming… “Darling you are a small person and the belly looks big on you in relation to your normal size. You look pregnant darling. You look wonderful”. And I skip away having had my ego stroked. No wonder I married this man.

But despite the reassurance from Ian, and after a few more encounters, I asked my midwife about this at the last appointment. “It is usual” she said “and don’t get offended. The next time someone says something like that tell them that your midwife says you are right on target”. Then she showed me my measurement and the chart. Fantastic! I walk out with a huge smile on my face. And… I have used that line already.

As for knitting? I have finished my Secret Santa Scarf

And, here is the rest of that project.

With right side facing, pick up 44 sts evenly along the other side ends of the fabric using yarn B

Then starting with a purl row work in stocking stitch as follows:-

Work 37 rows in yarn B
Change to yarn A and work for 8 rows
Change to yarn C and work for 12 rows
Change to yarn B and work for 4 rows
Cast Off

I have not finished this but I should by Tuesday. I the last stage for myslef to read:-

With right side facing, pick up 44 sts evenly along the other side ends of the fabric using yarn C

Then starting with a purl row work in stocking stitch as follows:-

Work 37 rows in yarn C
Change to yarn A and work for 8 rows
Change to yarnB and work for 12 rows
Change to yarn C and work for 4 rows
Cast Off

You must have guessed by now. Source of the pattern in the next blog.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Glaistig said...

Ooh, that scarf looks so warm and comfy! Your Secret Santa pal will be so pleased :)

Very interesting comments about how folks approach you. I have to admit that seeing a pregnant woman usually makes me smile in a goofy fashion. But I try to watch myself because I know they can get tired of answering questions over and over again ad nauseam. Your hubby is a sweetie!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Forecast was a fun knit so I highly recommend it!

Dove Knits said...

I'd probably punch people if they did this to me!

If it helps, though, I used to get comments on my "nice childbearing hips" all the time...when I was 16. Yes, I'm tall and broad. No, it's none of your business to point it out :)

Seahorse said...

Lovely scarf!

I've had four children and have come to the conclusion that most people just don't know how big a pregnant woman is supposed to look! Everytime my dimensions were perfectly normal but I still got 'it'll come early!', 'are you sure it's not twins?', 'your bump is huge!' etc etc over and over again!

So, I really don't think it's just you :)

Marietta said...

i am so there with you! i am only 21 weeks and just starting to show and the touching is starting - by people at work who should sooooo know better! :) we shall see what happens in another month.....

blog-blethers said...

You made me giggle and remember all the pawing by vague acquaintaces and complete strangers when I was pregnant with my two ... a LONG time ago (I am going off to see a prospective Uni with my eldest 'baby' this weekend!!). Absolutely agree about your comment about being public property. I must have been caught in a particularly 'hormonal' moment when, having been touched by a male I wasn't keen on, I positively growled 'Do that again and I'll grab your privates and see how you like it'!! I am normally a fairly sane and non-aggressive individual (honest)... Scarf's looking fab too!