27 June 2007

That thing called 'Tension'…

Well I am tense. Remember I said that Elizabeth’s cardigan was looking big? Well it is big. I am too far gone to frog it and besides she can still wear it later. But I am frustrated that it is not turning out the way I wanted it to. The pattern calls for 22 stitches and 36 rows; I made three tension swatches and ended up with 20 x 38 (on needle size called for in the pattern), 21 x 38 and 23 x 40.

I decided to go for the middle tension. I made this decision without really thinking it though. If there are fewer stitches it means that the fabric produced will be looser and more likely to be on the larger side. Had I thought it through I would have gone for the last tension and managed the length of the cardigan; which is easy to do as it is the length you work to in the pattern not the number of rows. That cardigan would have probably ended up closer to the size intended. Added to this there are no schematics to measure against. So I am a little disappointed…

On the brighter side of things, Elizabeth is growing so fast that she will be wearing this cardigan in the not too distant future. With this in mind I am determined to have this little cardigan completed by Sunday.

And by the way, I also came across these via flicker. Is it not great that there are other similar ones out there? I have not read the pattern through to see who the designer is but I bet it is derived from Elizabeth Zimmerman’s February Sweater. I love looking at other people’s projects. Why did I not think about adding more buttons? I will have to knit the original to redeem myself.

3 comments:

Queen of the froggers. said...

Tension is a pain isn't it! Never mind, it will look good when she has grown into it.

katarinaw said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I felt so frustrated about my knitting yesterday that I bought some "comfort yarn" after work. 100% wool.

Tension can really cause problems for me too. I often end up with things too big, it seems. But I suppose the good thing about knitting for children is that they will eventually grow into things if they turn out too big in the first place.

Jo said...

Thankyou for visiting, and the comment on my blog, I love some of those Elizabeth Zimmerman patterns, but don't have time to knit much at the moment as I'm always so busy spinning, it's amazing how quickly babies grow and change in those first few months, hope to see some more photos of Elizabeth modelling some of your projects!