28 September 2007

Knitting Sails…

The other day I had a panic. Not a major one but enough to put some wind up my knitting sails.

It was a rather cool day and I was out and about with Elizabeth. Then I started to think about the winter and how much I am looking forward to Elizabeth’s first Christmas. Then thought about how many sweaters and cardigans I could knit for her. STOP! What about the little things… What little things? I asked Jiminy. Mittens, Hats etc. Oops! I had completely neglected this. So, when I got home and declared to Ian that I would be knitting hats for Elizabeth.

There was a part of me that also appreciated quick and easy knitting for quicker results… Yup! At least one FO this year! But… I am not an experienced hat knitter, so where to start? All the books came out (not magazines that would be too easy). Ravelry and Flicker were searched. I was after a basic baby hat. After much flapping I decided to find one with a pattern and adapt it. I should have started here I would have finished the hat that night!!!! Anyway, I looked at the many baby knitting leaflets I have picked up and found one.

Without even thinking I cast on using dpns. The pattern did not call for these and tension was igonred for brevity. When it came to changing needle size I got stuck. No 4mm dpns in sight. You see, I inherited the dpns and assumed I would have the right size in there. So necessity being the mother of …. I recalled a blog I read where two circular needles were used instead. Well, I only had one set of 4mm needles so I used 3.75mm for the second set (bought the second 4mm the next day).


It was quite satisfying seeing the little hat grow and then finally worn by Elizabeth. Now I have to knit mittens to match too.

7 comments:

Janey said...

Oh my Tusa! Elizabeth is a doll! What a gorgeous daughter you have. Great hat too!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness - what a sweetie. She looks adorable in the hat you made.

Jo said...

How gorgeous Elizabeth looks in her lovely new hat Tusa, you can also use one long circular on its own if you do the magic loop method, which just involves pulling a loop of needle out half way around the stitches!

von said...

Gorgeous! (both hat and daughter)

Sarah said...

What a pretty picture - you did a lovely job with the hat (and the daughter by the looks of it ;o)

Dove Knits said...

Aww, I can't see the second picture. But the hat sure is cute! Good work with the problem-solving!

Dove Knits said...

I see it now! She's so adorable!