09 June 2008

More knitting betrayals

The ‘other’ interests... More than week has passed and I have managed to snatch a few moments to post – twice!

In my former post I mentioned my other craft interests. I only managed to post about one – card making. So today I thought I should share my relatively recent experiences with another interest; machine sewing and/or dressmaking.

About a month ago, I was looking for a dress for my little one. A nagging thought reminded me that I have always wanted to make little dresses. I ignored it. After getting Elizabeth and I sorted and ready for an outing, we set off into town. I could not find anything I liked. I came home rather dissatisfied and I decided that if I want a particular dress in a specific colour, then I should make it.

So, I ordered a few patterns from Jaycotts and few days later the patterns arrived.
I thought it would all be straight forward and I could just get to it and get started… Oh noooo! How wrong I was. Instead I was faced with this…

And wondered whether I was meant to understand it???? I reviewed my collection of sewing books then found one with some help…

A visit to the library elicited this…

Next, I decided to buy some fabric and notions and this is what I got…

Later, I showed that pattern to Elizabeth’s Godmother, who is very good with her sewing machine. She tells me that the pattern I have selected is very simple but… She also noticed that I had diligently cut out duplicates of the pattern (in the size required). Apparently, I don’t need to do this!!!! All I need to do is cut out the bigger size then fold it in for the smaller sizes. I feel like such a beginner. I know... I am... It all reminds me of my knitting beginnings. Although that was the wrong way around - I skipped stages like swatching and much to my horror the garments either grew after washing and/or looked nothing like the ones in the patterns.

Apparently, after the cut, sewing is pretty straight forward. Just joining up the pieces, they say. Feeling rather nervous, I decided that I need a decent pair of scissors to make my life easier.
Do I hear procrastination out there? I still have not cut out the pieces…


Another work in progress for flickr. Until next time my friends.

4 comments:

Bee said...

Good for you. I also do dressmaking but I have not touched my sewing machine for about a year. I was only saying to my partner that I might have to pick up my sewing again as I cannot see any skirts in th shops that I like. I have many patterns and fabric so I might as well make them myself.

Good luck with your new project.

Beeknitter.

kathryn said...

I used to dressmake lots but haven't for a very long time. And I'd no idea you could buy patterns so easily on the net- thanks for the link.

Theresa said...

Oh, I wish I lived closer! I love to sew - my entire family sews! And I don't fold in my patterns to the smaller sizes - too easy to make a mistake! I make a copy of the size I want, too!

Dove Knits said...

I just sewed a bunch of tiny dresses. It's alot of fun, but, like you, sewing is not my thing. Still, if I can sew a wearable dress, anyone can! And thanks for the tip on folding the pattern to make smaller sizes!